Thursday, July 5, 2007

Career Strains

Being a part of a scholarly family always made me felt proud. It feels nice when my neighbours used to call me, used to recognise me as a member of ‘Singal’ family. People used to say - ‘Arrey! Yeh to Singal sahib ki beti hain’. And mind you ‘Singal Sahib’ was used for my Grandfather.
May be because he ensured that all his kids, be it son or daughter, all should be educated and independent in life. This was my Grandparents vision but it gradually became an eminent part of my father and uncles life. I always saw my mother and aunts maintaining a healthy routine between their work place and family. Not only this but I think the day when I started understanding and remembering things around me, I learned that this is how life has to be and I am lucky to have a family with this thinking.
I am not the youngest in my family but with all my elders opting for Medical and Non-Medical stream, the pressure of selecting such a field invaded my life. The increasing number of Doctors, Engineers and Teachers resulted in an immense stress and with every passing year, I was able to see my family’s expectations climbing ladders. My father must have expected that I might opt for Medical but my decision was different. I opted for Commerce may be because I wanted to do something different, something special.
…since the time I can recollect, my desire was to become a Journalist. This term, this field fascinated me as I had an impression of this field being a path-breaking one. As I always dreamt of doing something different, what better could have been except Journalism?
But life is not always what we think. My decision was opposed! Some distant relatives had problems and lucky they, they were able to convince my dad. I was angry and bugged by the ways things were unfolding but for me this was not the end of my world. It took some time but this time I made sure that my Dad stood there to support. He must be scared about my decisions but this time he was with me and I was on my way.
Family support, criticism from relatives and my desire to prove myself, were my driving force, which always kept me on my toes.

6 comments:

Akshay Kapoor said...

Well said, Nids! Well said.
Haven't we all had our parents, relatives and peer group putting pressure on us to choose a particular career path? Though many do give in to that kind of pressure, some do dare to defy and soar on to their own choosen pathways. I believe we should all do what we sincerly believe in, not what others tell us to do.
You Nids, are one of those few individuals, who have done exactly that! Go further! There's no limit to what you can achieve. Next stop - BBC!

ashish goel said...

hey well-written and nice to see that u have succeeded in keepin up d family name.. all this should make u very proud.. never let this spirit die and d confidence fade.. way to go nids!!!

Niharika Gogia said...

well a good one dear.
nice to see that u can keep up the trust of ur family and take hold of ur parents support at every moving step in ur life
Gud luck and keep up ur spirits.

sumeet said...

hey nidhi ,
well every body around us compare to people who have met sucess in there fields ,and they also want us to achive the same sucess in same field ,in a way may be they r correct , but u known every key has its own combination of lock . but the only deciding factor is our destiny ,it takes us places , and always keep pushing to our goals . only thing is to realise its push , rather take it as a drag .

Abhi said...

Well Thank God, that u didn’t turned up as a Doctor..
Your magical wording in our articles n poems is always better that writing prescription and medicines..
Well it clicked at right time and your parents and loved ones agreed upon your decision and saved so many lives..
I am thinking of you attending patients in white blazer....oh Gosh..

Well you are best as you are..Ms Journo..keep it up !!!

chhaya said...

heyy..how important determination and faith is in your own self is shown by what you have done. Its often difficult to stand against those whom you love but mnay a times its essential..we admire u nidhi for this. It inspires all of us to move in the same direction.If we all follow our dreams..and chase them our lives could also be less ordinary....